Don't Fall Victim to Seasonal Allergies This Year!
For many, springtime means the start of little league games, gardening, listening to the birds, or long walks with your dog. However, for at least one in five Americans, it means itchy, watery eyes, sneezes, runny noses, bronchial swelling, nasal congestion and a slew of other allergy related symptoms. Before you start pointing fingers at pollen, grass, weeds and molds for bringing on these maladies, take a look at your overall health and lifestyle habits that could be contributing to those symptoms.
I used to think it was the environment’s problem -- not mine. After many mornings of going through a box of Kleenex to start my day, however, I realized I needed to get stronger within myself to overcome my allergies. But how?
I needed some diagnostic tests to show me where I should start because I was at a loss. After I saw the results of my first thermography scan I couldn’t believe how much inflammation I had in my body! (My head and neck were the worst areas) Thermography is basically like having your picture taken with a highly specialized HDTV night vision camera used to record thermal images of the heat patterns of the body. It’s unique in its capability to show the physiological change and metabolic processes occurring in the body. It was a wakeup call for me to find out what was causing all that inflammation in my body.
My next step was to figure out how I could get my head cleared. A friend of mine knew all about upper cervical care and convinced me to get an upper cervical chiropractic adjustment. I was willing to do anything to relief my sinus pressure and breathe. Getting my first upper cervical adjustment was a HUGE blessing for me. I don’t know if you have ever had an upper cervical chiropractic adjustment before, but it was a game changer! Every day after that, I knew my body was different and I wanted to learn more. My healing journey started that day.
Pollen, dust and mold
Pollen, dust and mold are actually just harmless substances in our environment which some immune systems inappropriately target as dangerous invaders. To protect the body, certain cells are activated to fight off the invaders leading to an extreme inflammatory response and the release of a chemical called histamine into the blood stream. This immune system malfunction causes common allergy symptoms like watery eyes, swelling and mucus production.
Amazingly, allergies are the 6th leading chronic disease in the U.S. among all ages, and the annual cost of allergies is estimated to be nearly $18 billion, according to the CDC. Most people turn to Benadryl, Claritin, and other medications to try to find some relief. I was a huge allergy drug consumer and spent many dollars to find relief for 11 years. The good news is that you might not necessarily need to take any of medications to help control your symptoms. Remember my goal is educate as many people as I can so that they don’t need more meds, #nomoremeds!! I no longer need any medication and have raised three kids with no needed medications.
The incidence of allergies has increased remarkably just since 1996 --from 6% of American children 18 and under, to 9% in 2003, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. All allergies seem to be on the rise, in fact, but "it's not just that more kids have allergies," says Dr. Marc Rothenberg, director of allergy and immunology at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. "The severity of those allergies has also increased."
The role of GMO’s
Interestingly, with all the angst over peanuts, dust and pollen, the potential allergy-causing properties of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) has been quietly overlooked. GM foods were introduced in the early 1990’s and there are a growing number of experts who believe that GM foods are contributing to the huge jump in food allergies in the US, especially among children.
The UK is one of the few countries that conduct a yearly food allergy evaluation. In March 1999, researchers at the York Laboratory were alarmed to discover that reactions to soy had skyrocketed by 50% over the previous year. Over 90% of worlds soy crops are genetically modified.
Since GM foods have genes from other plants or animals inserted into its genetic structure, scientists and environmental and health advocates have long been concerned that this could initiate allergies in humans. An article in 2002 Journal of Anatomy however denies any direct evidence that [GMO] food may represent a possible danger for health yet they readily admit the scientific literature in this field is quite poor.
Some scientists however, say that gene modification isn't as predictable as GMO advocates claim it is. "When inserted, genes can get disrupted, fused, mutated, or altered in unknown ways," says Doug Gurian-Sherman, a senior scientist at the Institute for Food Safety. A study from 1999 indicated farm workers exposed to bioengineered corn had elevated levels of proteins that were related to known allergens in their blood. These farm workers had shown higher than normal skin irritation, asthma and "rhinitis" (runny noses)—all classic allergic reactions. Studies were never repeated on those subjects to prove that the allergies were due to the GMOs or some other factor. Tests on mice that have ingested genetically modified corn found increased immune responses when compared to traditional corn.
If you are prone to allergies consider other preventive sources:
- Start with clean air. HEPA Air Filters help reduce exposure to allergens in your environment.
- Use antibiotics ONLY when absolutely necessary. Antibiotics rid the gut of all bacteria (even the beneficial bacterium necessary for gut health). There is an important relationship between the gastrointestinal, respiratory and immune system. Take probiotics. I recommend changing probiotics frequently. I like all of Metagenics and Orthomolecular products. They have one called Immune Booster and it provides some bacteria which support healthy nasal, sinus, and respiratory function. You can order it here https://cweaver.metagenics.com/ultraflora-immune-booster
- Focus on making sure you have foundational healthy eating practices in place. Eating anti-inflammatory foods like whole veggies and fruit. The more color the better. Always eat more veggies than fruit. Food high in Omega 3’s such as cold water oily fish, walnuts, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds. Omega 3 Fish Oil 500-2000mg daily … read your labels carefully. Identify what your total Omega 3 intake would be from the supplement by adding the EPA and DHA content together. You do not want the total “fish oil.” You want to take the total of “Omega 3” in the fish oil. Also, look at the “serving size.” This will tell you how many pills you need to take to get that dosage.
- Getting a food allergy test is very important. I recommend www.foodallergy.com and getting the 96 foods with the diet plan. Knowing what foods are causing your inflammation is very helpful.
- I love mixing 1 Tbs. of local raw honey with 3 Tbs. of apple cider vinegar each morning. At first start with 1 tsp. of each and build up. This drink has been my stable for many years. I also love to add lemon, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper and or cinnamon.
- Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. Consider taking 6000mg per day* as a maintenance dose.
- Vitamin D3 at 3000IU per day*: low vitamin D levels could increase the likelihood of children and adolescents developing both environmental and food allergies. Research has also discovered that vitamin D may be an effective therapeutic agent to treat or prevent allergy to a common mold.
- Eliminate all forms of dairy consumption and stay hydrated with water.
- Essential oils for allergies work by reducing inflammation and helping your body detox the bad guys like bacteria, parasites, and yeast that can trigger a reaction. My favorite blends are my “Allergy” and “Just Breathe” blends. My Allergy blend has lemon, lavender, peppermint, and melaleuca. My Just Breathe blend contains lemon, peppermint, melaleuca, and eucalyptus. I use these everyday as my perfume.
- Lauricidin has also been a life saver for me and my family. The active ingredient is monolaurin and is from the coconut plant. It helps support the immune system and does not destroy friendly bacteria. It inactivates laboratory bacteria, viruses and fungi/yeast. It also helps regulate bowel function can be taken with other medications.
- Last but not least, if you start to develop symptoms, take Orthomolecular’s product called Natural D-Hist at 6 per day*. It’s my favorite allergy remedy.
You can also order my customized allergy relief kit at https://mpnlogin.com/uppercervical/modules/onlineCart/
If you need my special allergy relief kit with the above supplements let me know. The first 10 that get a kit I will send you a signed copy of my No More Meds book!
Also, here is one of my smoothie recipes that my family and I love:
12 ounces of coconut milk or almond milk, 1 Tbs. of almond butter, ½ banana, handful of greens like spinach or kale, 1 cup of frozen or fresh pineapple, a little piece of ginger, and 1 tsp honey. Blend and enjoy!
Lastly, here is the secret to the healing process:
- You don’t have to know everything about every disease.
- You don’t have to know the biochemistry of how it all works and why it isn’t working.
- All that we have to do is use objective tests and know what the tests mean.
- Improve what we see in the testing.
- Retest to chart progress
Everyone is unique.
Underlying deficiencies and toxicities can be determined with a comprehensive blood test which, in turn, can direct you towards the proper nutrients you need for your body. By getting a comprehensive blood panel and tissue mineral analysis performed by an experience healthcare professional, an individualize program can be compiled for you to prepare you for your new healthy lifestyle. That way, you won’t have to guess what you may need to eat or supplements that you should be on. You can take the guesswork out by getting tested objectively. Get tested today and see how to enhance your body’s foundation towards optimal wellness… and breathe better!
I hope my column speaks to you and you can wake up each morning with a purpose. What I do every day is a calling, and I give God the glory for allowing His gifts to work through me. I do believe in miracles, because I get to see them every day! If you would like to contact me with your health concerns email me directly at Dr@drcorinneweaver.com. For more information you can go to www.DrCorinneWeaver.com or sign up for my closed Facebook group #NoMoreMeds-Community for more healthy tips at www.nomoremedsmovement.com.
*dosages are based on 150-lb. adult. Smaller or larger people may need to alter the dosage accordingly.
Dr. Corinne Weaver is a compassionate upper cervical chiropractor, educator, motivational speaker, mother of three, and internationally bestselling author. In 2004, she founded the Upper Cervical Wellness Center in Indian Trail, North Carolina. Over the last 13 years, she has helped thousands of clients restore their brain to-body function. When she was 10 years old, she lost her own health as the result of a bike accident that led to having asthma and allergy issues that she thought she would always have to endure. Then, after her first upper cervical adjustment at age 21, her health began to improve thanks to upper cervical care and natural herbal remedies. This enabled her to create a drug-free wellness lifestyle for herself and her family, and she also enthusiastically discovered her calling to help children heal naturally.
Dr. Weaver was recently named one of Charlotte Magazine's "Top Doctors" in 2016 and is now a number-one internationally bestselling author to two books: Learning How to Breathe and No More Meds.
Upper Cervical Wellness Center is known for finding the root cause of health concerns through lifestyle changes, diagnostic testing, nutraceutical supplementation, and correction of subluxation (as opposed to just medicating the symptoms). The practice offers cutting-edge technological care at its state-of-the-art facility, including laser-aligned upper cervical X-rays, bioimpedance analysis (measures body composition), digital thermography (locates thermal abnormalities characterized by skin inflammation), and complete nutritional blood analysis, which is focused on disease prevention.